Interpol Warrant Commander Vahidi, One of the Key Planners of the Iran War
Amid uncertainty over the ceasefire and possible agreement between the US and Iran, Iran’s Warrant General Commander Ahmad Vahidi has emerged as a key planner in Tehran’s future military and political strategy.
Vahidi took over as head of the IRGC after the then head of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), Mohammad Pakpour, was killed in a joint US-Israeli airstrike on February 28. Since then, his influence over key decision-making processes, including Iran’s war strategy, is believed to have grown rapidly.
The military officer, who is under US sanctions, is on Interpol’s most wanted list for his involvement in the deadly bombing of a Jewish community center in Buenos Aires, Argentina, three decades ago. That attack killed 85 people. Iran has consistently denied the charges. Ali Vaez, the director of Iran at the International Crisis Group, said that while Vahidi is influential, he is only part of a larger state structure. However, his position in decision-making in the current situation is very strong.
According to analysts, the US and Israeli attacks have made Iran’s leadership more influential rather than weaker. Under Vahidi’s leadership, the IRGC has continued to exert commercial pressure on the Strait of Hormuz. At the same time, Tehran’s position in negotiations with Washington has become tougher and more assertive than before.
On the first day of the war, Trump-Netanyahu were quite confident in destroying Iran’s missile arsenal, military bases, naval vessels and killing top leaders. However, Tehran changed their position and closed the Strait of Hormuz. Because Tehran realized that one-fifth of the world’s oil passes through Hormuz. As a result, President Trump suddenly found himself under pressure from all sides.
Another clear evidence that Iran has turned its back on the ongoing war is Commander Ahmad Vahidi. “No decision can be made without Vahidi,” said Danny Citrinovich, a former Israeli military intelligence officer. According to him, Vahidi is one of those leaders who believe that if the United States wants another war, Iran is ready.
Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump recently warned that military action against Iran could be taken again if there is no progress in the talks. Trump said, “Either there will be a deal or there will be an attack.” Ignoring such a threat from the US president, Vahidi countered by warning that any new attack on Iranian territory would go beyond regional borders. In a message on social media quoted in Iranian media, he said, “You (the US and Israel) will actually receive a terrible blow.”
Although Iranian Speaker Mohammad Baqer Ghalibaf or Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi are more active in public discussions, Commander Vahidi is the one who is instigating war behind the scenes. Military analysts say that despite several peace proposals with the United States, Tehran is still not willing to make ‘concessions’ on key issues, including uranium enrichment. As a result, the deadlock in the talks has not been broken.
Born in 1958 in the Iranian city of Shiraz, Vahidi has been part of Iran’s power structure since the 1979 Islamic Revolution. He was the first commander of the IRGC’s Quds Force. He later held several important positions, including defense minister and interior minister.
In 2022, the United States imposed sanctions on Vahidi for his involvement in the suppression of protests that began after the death of Mahsa Amini. Washington alleged that he advocated strict measures against those who violate the hijab law and that Vahidi also supported the suppression of protesters.
According to analysts, Vahidi’s rise to power in Iran is not only a sign of a change in the country’s domestic politics, but also raises the possibility of a long-term conflict in the Middle East. It can be said that Vahidi could be the next target of the United States and Israel. Because his predecessors were also killed. In particular, Qassem Soleimani was also targeted because he was one of the most influential figures. The Trump administration believes that by killing the commanders, Iran will suffer from a leadership vacuum. However, the matter will not be easy in the case of Vahidi. Because he does not come to the public. Iran will not give any information about his existence or any war strategy he is planning.

